President Trump reaffirms support for Poland, sends additional 5k soldiers

Polish President Karol Nawrocki has reaffirmed his commitment to strengthening relations with the United States after President Donald Trump announced plans to deploy an additional 5,000 American troops to Poland.

In a statement Nawrocki thanked the US leader for what he described as continued friendship towards Poland and for decisions that, in his words, are already producing “clear practical results”. The Polish president stressed that the alliance between Warsaw and Washington remains one of the key pillars of security for both Poland and Europe.

Nawrocki declared that he would continue to defend and deepen the Polish-American partnership, arguing that strong alliances must be built on cooperation, mutual respect and a shared responsibility for collective security. He added that safeguarding the safety of Polish citizens remains his highest priority.

Trump’s announcement linked the planned troop deployment directly to Nawrocki’s recent election victory and the relationship between the two presidents. However, the American administration has not yet provided detailed information regarding the timing, structure or operational purpose of the additional military presence.

Senior officials within the Polish presidential administration welcomed the declaration from Washington. Marcin Przydacz, head of the Presidential Office of International Policy, said Poland’s security depends not only on its own military strength but also on reliable partnerships with allies. He argued that consistent diplomatic efforts and long-term relationship building had contributed to the decision.

Speaking separately, Przydacz indicated that the development was the outcome of diplomatic work carried out by President Nawrocki and his team. He praised the close cooperation between the Polish and American presidents, describing it as a source of greater stability and security.

Presidential chief of staff Paweł Szefernaker also commented on the announcement, criticising what he called politically motivated media commentary and emotional public reactions surrounding foreign policy matters. According to Szefernaker, effective diplomacy is conducted through discreet negotiations and responsible decision-making rather than through public spectacle.

His remarks appeared to underline the government’s preference for quiet diplomatic engagement with Washington at a time of uncertainty regarding the future of the US military presence in Europe.

The latest announcement follows recent reports suggesting that the Pentagon had been considering reducing the number of American troops stationed across the continent. Last week, Reuters reported that plans for the rotational deployment of around 4,000 US soldiers to Poland had been cancelled. CNN later stated that Pentagon chief Pete Hegseth’s decision to suspend the planned armoured brigade rotation formed part of a broader effort to scale back American forces in Europe.

Earlier this month, the Pentagon also announced plans to withdraw approximately 5,000 troops from Germany, raising concerns among European allies about the long-term direction of US defence policy in the region.

Polish government representatives have repeatedly rejected suggestions that the American military presence in Poland would be significantly reduced. Defence Minister Władysław Kosiniak-Kamysz recently stated that while the US administration was reorganising troop deployments, the overall number of American soldiers stationed in Poland would remain at roughly 10,000.

During a visit to Washington on Thursday, Deputy Defence Minister Paweł Zalewski said he had received assurances from US officials that Poland would remain a priority despite broader reductions of American forces elsewhere in Europe.

Meanwhile, Poland’s National Security Bureau announced after talks between bureau head Bartosz Grodecki and senior Pentagon official Elbridge Colby that Warsaw could continue to count on strong military engagement from the United States.

The troop announcement is likely to strengthen Nawrocki’s position domestically as he seeks to present his presidency as one focused on security, defence cooperation and maintaining close strategic ties with the United States amid growing geopolitical tensions in Europe.

Photo: X/@NCNewsOnX

Tomasz Modrzejewski

 

 

See also

Verified by MonsterInsights